Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Time Tested


TIME TESTED


When I first moved to O-town in 2006, I found employment at Starbucks. I was working on building my own business with my father and worked part time at the coffee shop for the insurance.  One of my shift managers at the time was a tall blond with a fiery attitude. She possessed the skills needed to run a crew efficiently and still maintain a great relationship with her co-workers. Not only did she do her job well but also she had been dedicated to the company for eight years. Needless to say I was wondering why she was still there.

I have had this uncanny ability most of my life to see the amazing potential in other people. A perception that seems to exist in most people yet cultivated for the positive in very few. You see, most people like to hate and tear down rather than build the person up. People will trash the person with the most potential or sabotage the chances they have. Very few people will help cultivate and build this potential in others. My mother was a builder. I can recall one person she used to work with and how my mom trained her and cultivated her for her job and then the girl ended up with the job above my mom. This is the sort of thing that gets people mad and has them become haters yet my mother just pushed on to bigger and better things.

Back to that hot blond for a moment and her boss that promoted someone she trained. Instead of topping out at 30k a year and working non-stop for people who do not appreciate the dedication, she took the advice of this guy and quit. She struggled in finding that perfect fit for her but soon ended up at a university where her dedication and brains became recognized almost instantly. Two and a half years later and multiple promotions she is kicking but and taking names. She even amazes herself at times with the accolades she receives from her bosses and peers.

I would love to say this is all about me but I cannot.

The important thing is this woman’s attitude towards herself and any other job she has had. Her head is held higher and her confidence is larger than she ever expected. Every aspect of her life has changed because she began to see what someone else saw already.

This is one person out of the many in my life that I believe in. This is one out of the many successes in my life as well. This tall fiery blond just so happens to be my wife. Nonetheless it is our ability to see people and help foster that confidence that makes us human and compassionate. If we began to foster help instead of hate we just might see the rewards are greater than if we tried to take from everyone. I know this because that hot blonde is now helping me complete my higher education and taking care of me in the process.

That is called REWARD people!!

PAY IT FORWARD>>

Stay Tuned…

2 comments:

  1. Awww thanks baby!! I love you and will always be here to help us all succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts, Dan, and well said.

    Most people are only concerned with their own personal success. They don't see talent - in fact they often are not aware of what talent is. . . unless someone else has already told them. If you have to spend money to see this or that person they must be successful and talented. . . yeah, right. .

    People often will jump on the bandwagon after the fact as well. It's amazing how many people have "discovered" someone after they've already been discovered. Just like it's amazing how many new friends you'll have after you're successful, or won the lottery.

    Also, it helps to be a parent. It gives one a different perspective. Discovery of another's potential comes from digging and not just seeing the outer shell.. .
    and you're right, it's easier to tear down another than give credit and appear perhaps less of an individual or an artist.

    People will always be tearing you down.

    Follow your bliss, Zip Carson

    ReplyDelete