Friday, April 24, 2015

I AM WRONG!

One of my most poignant and memorable moments in life happened when I was a young boy. I had done yet another thing wrong and was yet again in trouble. My father who was no doubt under stress from other outside events unrelating to me went just a little too far in disciplining me. I do not remember the details of what was said, nor do I remember what I did but I do remember the aftermath like it was yesterday.

I retreated to the bathroom which was shared by my sister and I. I began to sob uncontrollably. I was there for maybe a minute or two when a knock came to the door.

Dad "Daniel can you open the door please?" He said in a soft and gentle manner.

I unlocked the door and my father knelt down in front of me grabbing my shoulders as tears fell down his face. He began to apologize and ask for forgiveness as if I had some sort of hold on him. I was none the less shocked and confused by this gesture of humility.

Fast forward about thirty years and I find myself at a kitchen table surrounded by my friends as we talk and socialize of our current events. Jovial attitudes all around, we are continually interrupted by children who seem to not understand the meaning of adult time. My son burst in to the room yet again to ask a question that has already been answered and I yell at him startling him immensely. As the young boy hangs his head and I turn back to the conversation I am met with embarrassing stares all around and a stern look from my wife.

Everything in me wanted to shrug it off. My mind immediately jumped back to that day in the bathroom some thirty years before. I wanted to jump up and secretly tell him I was wrong but knew I would be doing him a disservice. So I returned the boy to the audience of adults and proceeded to eat my words and apologize for my wrong in front of everyone.

Though I may have felt like a heel and been humbled quite a bit, I only hope that one day he understands the significance of self awareness. As parents we often times forget that some of the greatest lessons are not taught by our words but by our actions. I can only pray that in these little things my kids grow up to be effective adults with integrity and honor. I feel the best thing I can do is to emulate my father and let them know I can be wrong.

Food for thought!

1 comment: