Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Take Care of The Widows

Take Care of The Widows


A few years ago I lost my father in a battle with cancer. No one can ever prepare you for this loss, nor did I foresee just how much I would be affected. During my mourning I took up my camera and started documenting the event following his death. I soon became very aware of how it was affecting those around me and have since become empathetic to those feelings. I began to open my thoughts to where they were and how his death had changed them.

A few months ago I was in conversation with my mom discussing life events. During which she revealed how I had no understanding of the devastating affect my fathers loss has had on her. I begged the question and her answer took me back.
“I was with your father for 38 years and all my adult life. I do not know any other way of living and now have no one to share my daily events with.” She stated in a very somber tone.

Just kids getting married.
I was hit hard with the realization of how alone she really was. It had never crossed my mind just how much I talk to my own wife and share every little detail of our day. I began to image what it would look like to not be able to share our children’s antics or my frustration at work. How would my life look with no one to vent to or laugh with? Where would I get that fulfillment and satisfaction of validation?

These thoughts have haunted me as of late. I feel an overwhelming sense of fear that we do not love our widows and widowers well. I believe it is our job as relational beings to pay attention to our neighbors needs and adjust our lives accordingly. We should not shut them out but rather envelope them into our activities and lives. Help them adjust better into a new understanding of living. Loneliness is a very devastating feeling that can overwhelm us and leave us feeling empty and depressed.


I charge you friends to be proactive and thoughtful of those around you who may be alone. They need our conversation and thoughts. Drop them a line and tell them how much they are worth. It could be the difference between sadness and depression or happiness and self-worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment