Friday, March 23, 2012

FEAR & CHANGE


So here I am. Scared! Terrified of embarking upon a new journey. Yes the excitement is there and I can feel that twinge of adrenaline, yet I still feel like failing will kill me.

If you have ever felt this than you are just like everyone else on this planet. We all fear one thing or another. Some of us just know how to work through it or have worked on it enough that it is a normal feeling.

Do It! Get up off your butt and start changing your life.

I smoked for about 25 years. Yep this 35 year old man had been smoking two thirds of his life.

I remember my first smoke like I remember the birth of my daughter 10 months ago. We were living in a townhouse, 9048 Silver Maple Ct. in Manassas, VA.  My neighbor next door was a little older and he and his buddies would all skateboard around the hood. I thought they were so cool.

One day I followed them to the area behind the row of townhomes into the thicket of brush next to the tree line. As I lost them in the thick I quickly followed the voices and the tunnel that suddenly opened up to my eyes. Then, there they were, drinking Boones Farm wine and smoking.

I am sure you get the hint and the outcome was of course 25 years of addiction to nicotine. My point however is I quit 4 months ago.

I have been trying to quit smoking for years! Decades! And I all of a sudden got scared to death after a comment my Father made to me while dying from cancer. It scared me so bad I am still haunted by it today.

It scared me more than the fear of change!

So here I am again.

Wanting to change and scared to.

Yet, I do not see any other option because I am more scared of not succeeding. I can see more failure in not trying than I can in failing.

So, this is the new me! A better me! I refuse to allow the world to scare me into another addiction. One of fear.

Been there!

Done that!

Doing it different, and making a change! 

2 comments: